Violation of right to life and bodily integrity:
Sixteen Palestinian civilians, including 7 children, sustained wounds and dozens of others suffocated due to teargas inhalation in separate incidents in the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem. Most civilians were wounded during Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF)’s suppression of a peaceful protest organized by Palestinian civilians.
- On 18 March 2022, 8 civilians, including 4 children, were shot with rubber bullets during the IOF’s suppression of Kafr Qaddoum weekly protest in northern Qalqilya.
- On 19 March 2022, 4 civilians, including 3 children, sustained rubber bullets wounds during the IOF’s suppression of Kafr Qaddoum weekly protest as well. On the same day, a civilian was shot with a live bullet in his foot and others suffocated due to teargas inhalation during clashes with IOF near al-Shuhada closed street in Hebron. Also, IOF arrested a Palestinian after wounding him with a live bullet near al-Thawri intersection in occupied East Jerusalem, under the pretext of not obeying to police orders after trying to stab an Israeli settler in the area.
- On 22 March 2022, 4 civilians were wounded, including a paramedic who sustained rubber bullet wounds in his back, during IOF’s incursion into the surrounding of Kalandia military checkpoint in occupied East Jerusalem.
In the Gaza Strip, IOF opened fire 4 times at agricultural lands in access restricted areas, eastern Khan Younis and Central Gaza Strip. Also, five IOF shootings were reported on fishing boats mostly off the northern, southern, and western Gaza shores.
” So far in 2022, IOF attacks killed 16 Palestinians, including 4 children, and wounded 149 others, including 30 children, a woman, 10 journalists and 2 medical personnel, all in the West Bank, except one fisherman in the Gaza Strip.
Land razing, demolitions, and notices
This week, IOF leveled 35 dunums, uprooted 310 olive and almond trees, and confiscated a caravan. Details are as follows:
On 17 March :
IOF delivered cease-construction notices to two houses in Kafr ad-Dik village, west of Salfit.
On 21 March:
IOF leveled 19 agricultural dunums planted with wheat and parsley during their incursion into eastern and central Gaza Strip.
On 22 March:
- IOF uprooted 230 olive and almond trees while razing 14 dunums in Wadi Fukin and Husan villages, west of Bethlehem.
- IOF leveled 2 dunums, uprooted 90 olive trees and confiscated a caravan and a truck structure in southern Hebron.
” Since the beginning of 2022, Israeli occupation forces made 40 families homeless, a total of 244 persons, including 47 women and 113 children. This was the outcome of IOF demolition of 50 houses and 4 residential tents. IOF also demolished 29 other civilian objects, leveled 174 dunums and delivered 39 notices of demolition, cease-construction, and evacuation.
IOF incursions and arrests of Palestinian civilians:
IOF carried out 160 incursions into the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem. Those incursions included raids and searches of civilian houses and facilities and establishment of checkpoints. During this week’s incursions, 91 Palestinians were arrested, including 18 children and 4 woman. Among the arrested women there was two university students and a female journalist.
Also, on Wednesday, 23 March 2022, IOF conducted a wide-scale arrest campaign. During which, they arrested 29 Palestinians, including 2 university students, across the West Bank.
Moreover, on 17 and 20 March 2022, 6 civilians were arrested by IOF: 5, including a child, arrested in the Gaza Strip eastern border area while trying to sneak into Israel, while the 6th was arrested while travelling through Beit Hanoun (Erez) Crossing in northern Gaza Strip.
Also, on 21 March 2022, IOF conducted a limited incursion into the east of Central Gaza Strip.
” So far in 2022, IOF conducted 1699 incursions into the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem, during which 1031 Palestinians were arrested, including 135 children and 13 women. IOF also conducted 12 limited incursions into eastern Gaza Strip and arrested 16 Palestinians, including 7 fishermen. Meanwhile, 9 were arrested, including a child, in the border area, and two others at Beit Hanoun “Erez” crossing.
Israeli closure policy and restrictions on freedom of movement:
Israeli occupation maintains its illegal and inhuman 15-year closure on the Gaza Strip. Details available in PCHR’s monthly update on the Gaza crossings.
In the West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem, IOF continues to impose restrictions on the freedom of movement. On top of its 108 permanent checkpoints, IOF established 72 temporary military checkpoints this week and arrested 2 Palestinians at those checkpoints. The majority of the checkpoints were in Hebron (35), followed by Bethlehem (15).
” So far in 2022, IOF established 784 temporary military checkpoints this week and arrested 42 Palestinians at those checkpoints
Source: Palestinian human rights organization (PCHR)