Israeli forces continue systematic crimes in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt)
(21-27 December 2017)
· Israeli forces escalated the excessive use of force against protests in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
– Two Palestinian civilians were killed, while 2 others succumbed to their wounds in the Gaza Strip.
– 128 Palestinian civilians, including 22 children, 2 journalists and a paramedic, were wounded in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
– 67 of them were hit with live bullets, 39 were hit with rubber-coated metal bullets, and 22 were hit with tear gas canisters.
· Israeli forces conducted 58 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank and 2 limited incursions into the Gaza Strip.
– 91 civilians, including 15 children and a woman, were arrested in incursions and protests in the West Bank.
– 34 of them, including 6 children and a woman, were arrested in Jerusalem.
· Israeli authorities continue to create a Jewish Majority in occupied East Jerusalem.
– Palestinian civilian was forced to self-demolish his house in Silwan village.
– A room and a barrack were demolished in Silwan village.
· Israeli warplanes fired flare bombs 2 times, east of Khan Yunis.
· Israeli forces continued to target border areas in the Gaza Strip.
– 3 Shooting incidents occurred in the border areas, but no casualties were reported.
· 5 shooting incidents targeting the Palestinian fishing boats occurred in the Gaza Strip.
– 2 fishermen were arrested, north of the Gaza Strip.
· Israeli forces turned the West Bank into cantons and continued to impose the illegal closure on the Gaza Strip for the 11th
– Dozens of temporary checkpoints were established in the West Bank and others were re-established to obstruct the movement of Palestinian civilians.
– 8 Palestinian civilians, including a woman and her child, were arrested at the checkpoints in the West Bank.
Israeli violations of international law and international humanitarian law in the oPt continued during the reporting period (21-27 December 2017).
During the reporting period, in new crime of excessive use of force, Israeli forces kill 2 Palestinians while 2 others succumbed to their wounds in the Gaza Strip. They also wounded 89 Palestinian civilians, including 14 children, in the Gaza Strip, while 39 Palestinian civilians, including 8 children, 2 journalists, and a paramedic, were wounded in the West Bank. The Israeli forces continued to chase fishermen in the Gaza Sea and target border areas in the Gaza Strip.
This high number of casualties and killed persons proves that Israeli forces deliberately killed protectors, especially in the border areas in the Gaza Strip. PCHR’s follow-up showed that it is clear that the Israeli forces heavily and upon a decision use live ammunition; some of which is explosive, to confront the unarmed civilians. Therefore, for the second consecutive Friday, the number of Palestinians, who were deliberately wounded with live bullets increased in addition to directly killing them through direct sniper in peaceful protests. It should be noted that the protestors did not pose any threat to the soldiers.
In the Gaza Strip, on 22 December 2017, Israeli forces killed 2 Palestinian civilians. According to PCHR’s investigations, dozens of young men and youngsters gathered few meters away from the border fence with Israel near former Nahal Oz Crossing, east of al-Sheja’eya neighbourhood, east of Gaza City. They set fire to tires and threw stones at the Israeli forces stationed along the border fence in protest against the U.S. President’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel. During the clashes, the Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters and live bullets at the protestors. As a result, Mohamed Nabil Mohamed Muhasin (30), from al-Shuja’iyia neighbourhood, was killed after he sustained a live bullet wound to the left thigh.
In similar circumstances on the same day, Zakaria Adham Hussein al-Kafarna (20), from al-Amal neighborhood in Beit Hanoun, was killed after being hit with a live bullet to the chest while he was near the crossing vehicles’ gate on the asphalt road of the crossing.
In the same context, 2 Palestinian wounded persons succumbed to their wounds in similar circumstances. On 23 December 2017, medical sources at the Indonesian Hospital in Jabalia, north of the Gaza Strip, announced the death of Sharif al-‘Abed Mohammed Shalash (28) from Jabalia refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip. Sharif was staying in the Intensive Care Unit ( ICU) after being hit with a live bullet to the abdomen on Sunday, 17 December 2017, while he was participating in a protest organized in the east of the al-Shuhada’a Islamic Cemetery, east of Jabalia.
The full report is available online at: